The Homestead (Projects for Street Children) is a registered Non-Profit Organisation and has section 18A tax status in South Africa. We have been established since 1982 and have a simple mission – “To get and keep children off the street and to reconstruct their shattered lives.”
The Homestead is based on developmental principles. There is no single solution to the challenge of children living, working and begging on the street. The Homestead must therefore offer a continuum of services, both on and off the street, and which address the needs of both the child and their families and through which children can grow towards competence and self-confidence.
The Homestead provides prevention and early intervention programmes, street outreach and intake shelters, long-term residential and educational care, and family reconstruction and family preservation services. We even offer a job creation programme to help to economically stabilise vulnerable families.
The success of the Homestead is shown in our results in that the Homestead:
- Prevents over 150 children a month from drifting towards the street through early intervention programmes in communities and families of origin.
- Transitions and stablises between 95 and 130 children a year away from the street.
- Reunifies over 37% of children coming into the Homestead directly back to their families with ongoing family preservation and education support.
- Provides every day shelter, therapy, education and long-term residential care and development for over 75 vulnerable and traumatised children, children who cannot be returned directly back home to their families for one reason or another.
- Gives Street children the hope, care and protection they need to restructure their shattered lives and to build a positive future away from street life.
We invite you to view our work as set out on this website, to see the day to day activities on our Facebook page and to contact us directly, or to pop in to our office to find out all about one of the most successful street children projects in the world. You are welcome to join the Homestead family by helping us to make a difference in one way or another. The Homestead family is not only about the children, the staff or our generous volunteers. The Homestead family is also about the many hundreds of people and companies who contribute in so many different ways to make our work possible. We can only do it alone and without you. It is the Homestead family that means that today, in Cape Town, there is no need, no reason, for any child to live, work or beg on the street. We have the services to break destructive cycles and bleak futures, to heal and reunify families and to create children with a bright, positive future away from street life